Monday, December 22, 2008

My health

After finding out my mom had cancer (see blog below), my health issues slipped from my mind, but some have been asking for an update, so here you go. After getting all my tests results back, we have confirmed that I have acid reflux and irritable bowel syndrome, most likely brought on by my eating habits, stress and my weight. All my test results came back clean (no diabetes, no high cholesterol, no cancer), so my doctor and I agreed that I just need to loose weight (no big revelation there, but having your doctor lecture you on it makes it a little more real.) So, here is the plan. Stay on meds for a very long time for my stomach, until I can get all my weight off, exercise 6 days a week, eventually leading up to sweating heavily for an hour each of those days, and following the South Beach Diet. Oh, and cutting out all caffeine. So, I have already cut down on my caffeine to one cup a day. I plan to phase it out completely at the first of the year. I am also walking 6 times a week for about 45 minutes. While I am not sweating yet, I am working on the habit of doing something all the time. Unfortunately, my only exercise plan has been walking, so rain has been putting a big damper on that plan, so I need to find something else I can do in the house on the days it rains, that is low impact to start. At the first of the year, I am going to gradually add in high impact cardio and two days of weight lifting. I think it will take me until about the end of April before I am officially doing one hour a day of full blown sweating, 6 days a week. As of January 2nd, I will be starting the South Beach Diet. I feel fully committed, and for some reason think my will power is back. I am currently reading the South Beach Diet book and plan to purge the entire kitchen the week after Christmas, and stock up on all the needed food for success. I am also going to be buying a food journal, walking shoes and a weight training video. So, wish me luck in the year to come. My doctor is helping me stay realistic, and is hoping for 40 pounds off over the next year. Obviously, I hope for more, but I am going to be satisfied with whatever comes. My focus now is on overall health, and not just my weight. I want to have energy again. And I want to be able to really PLAY with Munchi this summer, you know?
For those of you interested in my inspiration (besides my doctor), I am reading the South Beach Diet, and Younger Next Year. While Younger Next Year is geared towards those over 50, it talks about the benefits of regular exercise on your health overall, and how to feel young, fit and energized your entire life. It is quite inspiring.
Here is to a healthy New Year!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

That's great news that it's nothing real serious. I wish you the best of luck and look forward to reading all about your success. I know that you will, once again, inspire me :)

LobotoME said...

Kiki --- good luck with your health goals - you can do it!!!

Check out my friend Shane's health supplement company - he has this weightloss program that I have seen people do amazing things with.

www.thepeopleschemist.com

There is also another book that I think you would find helpful. Healthy Living from the Inside Out...but each week she has you do (either delete something unhealthy from your diet - sugar, diet coke, etc. or ADD something healthy- yoga, 2 walks a day, etc.)

 

Doing More Than Just Surviving | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates