Monday, July 7, 2008

Munchi and his diet

So, we have had to put Munchi on a calorie supplement program, at least for the next month until his next doctors appointment. He continues to fall down on the growth chart in weight, while his height remains in the 50th percentile. In theory, this sounds like a great plan... We give him a Pediasure every night before bed and add a flavorless powder to his milk and applesauce during the day. Great! However..... Pediasure would cost us an additional $10 a week, which may not sound like a lot but with Dirk out of a job, finding the additional $50 a month is not easy. But fine, we will do it for the short term, for our sons overall health. But the powder is a whole other issue. He will not eat anything we put it in. So much for tasteless... Or maybe it changes the texture, I do not know. What I do know is our son is so special that he can actually tell something tasteless and odorless has been added to his food. That reminds me of that part in the Princess Bride, where they are fighting over the poisoness wine, where the poison is both odorless and tasteless, but the main guy has built up an immunity to it. My son has done the same, except his is an immunity to eating anything that contains it. Anyway, we are starting today by sprinkling a little bit of this powder in EVERYTHING liquid that he eats. We have to get four tablespoons in him everyday, and we are looking at adding it in by the teaspoon. To add to the bliss, I have been reading the Baby Whisper for Toddlers. Overall, an okay book, but the section on eating makes a big stink about how the parents issues and anxiety about eating can be picked up by the kids, and cause their eating issues. How we should never try to get them to take one more bite when they are already done, or make them sit in their highchair longer than they are willing, etc.... What the hell!! Someone explain to me how my anxiety over his eating is not supposed to show when he was born 3 pounds, and I had to ensure he ate a high calorie diet from day one just to get him out of the hospital. Then, just as his weight is climbing on the growth charts, he moves from formula to milk and solid foods, and his weight begins to dip again. To the point where I now have to give him calorie supplements, and possibly go to a occupational therapist. Sure, in a dream world, meal time would be calm and peaceful, we would offer Munchi food ,enjoy our meal, and not worry about how much he ate, and the fact that he only eats bread and applesauce. I would love to live in this dream world. But instead, I live in one where I am breaking my budget on supplements, and sneaking powders into foods I can only hope Munchi will eat, and somehow have to show no concern or anxiety over food. Not to mention the food issues in my own life I already bring to the table. So much for being the perfect parent. I am already well on the road to screwing my kid up!

No comments:

 

Doing More Than Just Surviving | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates