Thursday, June 19, 2008

Medical Coverage is a Scam

So, now that Dirk does not have a job, we have had to go on COBRA. Since this costs us $1300 a month, we decided to apply for coverage on our own. UGH! The things they ask about your medical history. And they actually expect you to know the dates you went to the doctor and why for the last 7 years. Seven years ago I was living with my parents, getting my Master's degree, and has just moved back from Florida. Hell if I know when and why I saw a doctor back then. They are lucky I can remember back to the birth of Munchi these days.

Anyway, after requesting medical records from our doctors over the last three weeks, we have finally submitted our application. The fun part? They can decline us because of pre-existing conditions, and our weight.... What is someone supposed to do if they can't afford COBRA and can't get other coverage? Suddenly I see why health care is a hot topic this election. Maybe I should actually be paying attention!

I went to the spa all day yesterday and even had an 80 minute massage and facial. My masseuse told me I was one of the more tense people she had seen in a long time. She rubbed the hell out of my shoulders and neck. And I actually was able to sleep more than 4 hours last night. Now, after medical covergae hell, I am already back to my wonderful, tense, insomniac self.

1 comment:

Carebear said...

Glad that you had a nice massage...Bummer about the insurance. Andrew was saying something about major medical insurance. I guess it is easier to be approved but only covers like major hospital stays, etc. For Munchi there are clinics that offer the vaccines for free, or a very cheap price....Just something to think about.

 

Doing More Than Just Surviving | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates